It is a delight to be the spouse of a hard working, joy-filled, dedicated man.



Saturday, April 18, 2009

In the House For A Break

After I dug through my ill devised corm and tuber storage to find a dismal return for my silly trouble, I decided to do a job that has been haunting me for quite a while. Trust me, jobs don't haunt me until it is way past time to do them so when I say it has been haunting me for a while I mean I am nearly to the point of, "what is the use of doing it at all."


The raspberries have been needing attention for quite some time. Ugh. And funny, the job does not get any easier if you let it go. All the cane that are bent over and tied need to come out and all the nice green already growing canes need to be tied in the usual horizontal position.


Raspberries produce on the new growth that sprouted up as new canes at the end of the growing season late last summer. The old canes aren't just old canes, they become dead canes, no use keeping them around.

And there are always the new canes that are confused and think that they can grow just anywhere on the farm. The will have to come out completely and be replanted in the bald spots or replanted some where else. I have a hard time even killing, tossing on the compost, the pathetic skinny ones let alone extras, so I try to find new homes for the nice ones.

Snipping off all of the ties from last year is kind the worst and least fun part.

They are unceremoniously tossed in a garbage bucket with some of the garbage I picked up along the way here.

Well my break is over, but I still feel like Moose aka Amie Jo.


Oh wait, here is my flower arrangement I made when I came in for a break. I used the pineapple from yesterday's dinner offering . There is a plastic cup down in the cavity.

This is my favorite unitasker, probably the only unitasker in my kitchen, because so far I can't think of anything I else I could use it for.
Hey I gotta go out and finish my job. See you later.
Oh duh I totally forgot to say that this is my pineapple cutter, you cut off the top of the pineapple put the little grippy end over the core and twist away, the harder you push while twisting, the thicker the slices seem to be, I'm a brut with everything so my slices are usually thick, I never think of having a lighter touch until it is too late! Mmmm my analyst would have something to say about that for sure.
Just came in for a drink, back to the mines, fields, uh raspberries.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I learned something from you about raspberries this afternoon. That would be a tedious task for sure! That's the cutest cat napping I've ever seen - is that her tongue sticking out??? cute!
Love the pretty bouquet in the pineapple. Enjoy your evening!

Connie said...

Lanny, you sure are a hard worker. Seeing all those canes made me wish for a raspberry pie. :D I loved the photo of your sleeping kitty too. I wish I could fall asleep like that with not a care in the world. I generally have to lie awake and have my brain tumble about for about an hour or more before I can get any sleep.

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

All that work on the raspberries will be worth it when you get to eat those yummy berries!! I love your cat with her tongue sticking out, too cute!

Jennifer said...

I love the picture of your cat! How cute, he looks like he is getting some good rest! I also love that flower arrangement, what a neat and unique idea to use a pineapple like that.

Suffeli kuvailee said...

wonderful picture of a cat! nice beginning one week;)

commoncents said...

Great site and excellent post here!

Would you like a Link Exchange with our blog COMMON CENTS? Check it out here...
http://www.commoncts.blogspot.com

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

i was trying to decide which i liked better, that cat or those flowers in the pineapple. the cat won!

smiles, bee
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Sparky said...

What a delightful post! Note to self: never grow raspberries. They're too much commitment. (ha ha) I need you to move here and work in my yard. We'd have a grand time and I make excellent Rum & Cokes (or just plain ice tea, if you're so inclined). :o)

Tipper said...

I love love my raspberries-but looks like you take better care of yours than I do :) The flowers in the pinapple are so pretty-neat idea of using whats on hand.