It is a delight to be the spouse of a hard working, joy-filled, dedicated man.



Friday, February 13, 2009

Mulling

2Corithians 10:1-6 (various translations)


Now I, Paul, myself am pleading with you by the meekness and gentleness of Christ—who in presence am lowly among you, but being absent am bold toward you. But I beg you that when I am present I may not be bold with that confidence by which I intend to be bold against some, who think of us as if we walked according to the flesh. For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh. For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ, and being ready to punish all disobedience when your obedience is fulfilled.


By the meekness and gentleness of Christ, I appeal to you—I, Paul, who am "timid" when face to face with you, but "bold" when away! I beg you that when I come I may not have to be as bold as I expect to be toward some people who think that we live by the standards of this world. For though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does. The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ. And we will be ready to punish every act of disobedience, once your obedience is complete.

Now I, Paul, myself urge you by the meekness and gentleness of Christ--I who am meek when face to face with you, but bold toward you when absent!
I ask that when I am present I need not be bold with the confidence with which I propose to be courageous against some, who regard us as if we walked according to the flesh.
For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh,
for the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh, but divinely powerful for the destruction of fortresses.
We are destroying speculations and every lofty thing raised up against the knowledge of God, and we are taking every thought captive to the obedience of Christ,
and we are ready to punish all disobedience, whenever your obedience is complete.

3 comments:

KathyB. said...

"The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world"...oh that I would really grasp that!It is so easy to grab the "weapons of this world" and so often , those very weapons burn us terribly, but we're not aware of the harm until it is too late..And to realize He , in His Love, is the wielder of justice and the weapons that truly work.

LindaSue said...

"For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh,for the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh, but divinely powerful for the destruction of fortresses" and the weapons of the flesh are far too feeble and changeable - the divine power can and does destroy fortresses - I live as testimony to destruction of some pretty solid fortresses containing some very ugly stuff.( don't you love my wide ranging theological vocabulary?)

Anonymous said...

Wonderful words of life.
Thank you for today's blog.
Karen