It is a delight to be the spouse of a hard working, joy-filled, dedicated man.



Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Smell That


These all smelled delicious. I wanted to bury my face in them and not leave.








The images that the perfume of lilacs spring back to me are precious scenes of walking with armloads of lilacs to my school to place around the statue of Mary. Very fond memories, very inspiring times.



I know for most people icons are a bugger to get around in their brain, but I am a very visual person they propelled me to contemplate those in the great cloud of witness. I didn't have a problem with confusing the statue as anything more that a reminder of those we should remember daily.


I did not revere the statue, the statue brought clearly to mind those I do revere. Much as the cross or the crucifix brought clearly to mind to whom I owed my salvation and the God I was to worship all the days of my life





Not too much different in my book than family photos of grandpa and grandma and all the greats in the family that have gone before.


Call it a crutch if you will or worse an idol but then think of the photos that you show to your children of great Aunt Etty when you tell them what a wonderful strong christian she was, do your children think the picture is Aunt Etty?
Just saying that, before you cream a group of people for their ways please slow down and really look at what may or may not be going on. Is it really against the people we are called to be? And try not to throw the baby out with the bath water because someone in your past did have a confusion on the matter.
Peace LA

5 comments:

KathyB. said...

Love the pictures of the lilacs...and the terriers ! How can you leave the critters at home when they were begging so appealingly ? Don't you think a road trip with a few rat terriers bouncing around would be fun ? Oh well...another time ? The puppies are so cute, and the kittens and ducklings must be growing so fast ? Thank-you for the reflections and thoughts on our so very often assumed ideas of anothers expression of faith !It is so hard sometimes not to assume, and so much easier to judge someone else...makes it easier to not have to reflect too very much on things more needful to attend to, such as my own attitudes ! Praise God....KathyB.

KathyB. said...

Love the pictures, I want those lilacs ! Amen, how often do we rush to judge our brothers and sisters ? A little bit of love and possibly discussion might clarify things, for both parties !
How could you leave those poor little rat terriers home, to get into possible mischief because they miss you sooooooo much ! Why, a pack of little ratters would have enlivened your trip no end ! KathyB.

KathyB. said...

love the lilacs, I want them ! KathyB.

KathyB. said...

love the lilacs, I want them ! jkcedarpond

KathyB. said...

This is Karen B commenting on my sister's lilac obsession. She is in the other room crunching on French fries while I am writing this. So I think my sister is obsessed with your lilacs and one night real soon they may be missing from your yard. Keep weeding the driveway so she doesn't make any noise while creeping up the driveway to steal your lilacs.
karen B