It is a delight to be the spouse of a hard working, joy-filled, dedicated man.



Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Tuesday or Is It Wednesday or Does It Really Matter

By the way, the peach trees: Frost and Harken.

And if this is winter, who cares if there is going to be six more weeks of it. (PNW speaking wise that is.) Spring can be nasty scary weather, I think I'd rather do winter at this rate.


So I have a problem.

You know, if you read here a lot, that I am doing the whole plant by the moon and stars thingy. Whole hog, not only planting but weeding, fertilizing, pruning everything. Half 'cause I think there must be something to it, the moon moves the tides, God hung the moon and the stars as signs and seasons for us; and half 'cause it gives me a focus for the day.

At one time I thought I didn't want to do the whole moon thing, thinking that I had a hard enough time getting my stuff done (procrastinator extraordinaire) and if I could only do it on such and such a day then I would be sunk.

Then I received an almanac for Christmas and it was all about the whole planting by the moon and stars thing. I was intrigued and I noticed that there were plenty of days each month to get stuff done.

An idea came upon me, I don't get stuff done 'cause I have to many directions to go in a day, I'm always finding work to do, every where I look, even if I made out a schedule. It is always ditch able and then I hate myself in the morning for not getting what I intended to do done.

Sometimes I need a boss to tell me what it is exactly that I should do. (wait, honestly? all the time)

I am digging this whole thing, I am really sailing through the week staying on task, not getting so sidetracked. Then I made a fatal mistake.

I remembered picking up a little booklet once that was only about the whole garden by the moon and stars thing, I remembered it as having more specific things in it. And it was put out by a local garden expert and seed-salesman.

So I picked one up.

Now my problem.

It is really important that I not have any fudging room on my schedule. I need to be told that I have to get it done today and at the latest tomorrow or wait two weeks. It can't seem to be random or arbitrary. But this new little booklet is off from the almanac by a day.

What the heck! If it can be off a day then I can go back to fudging here and there and even though I'm supposed to be planting root seeds and not weeding I'll pull a weed and then two and then pull for four hours 'cause the one booklet is off from the other by a day so... !.

Crumb, I have problems.

Today, I worked by the little booklet. I weeded several beds, and spread lime and minerals on the North Garden. I didn't follow the Almanac which said I need to be starting more onion seeds, transplanting onions, and seeding beets and carrots.

The little book says I can do that tomorrow. Today was a great day for weeding. Those were the only two things I did, which was an improvement over my old work habits.

Maybe this will work out. That is, if I plant my seeds tomorrow.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Lanny! Glad to know I'm not the only one who is easily sidetracked! I was thinking of you yesterday and your beautiful new window in your bedroom. Hope you will have a lovely day dear friend.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Lanny: Planting by a book is not for me, I plant when convenient and things work out well. You can't plant before the last frost unless you want real problems except for certain plants.

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

the farmers in podunk used to plant by the moon all the time, they swore by it!

smiles, bee
xoxoxoxoxoxo

Connie said...

Lanny, I don't know if you intended to or not, but you made me laugh with this post. I think you are doing quite well if you are within a day or two either way of your schedule. HA! I generally just fly by the seat of my pants with everything I do. I'd never make it on the schedule you got going there. So by my standards, I think you're doing absolutely fantastic! :D

LindaSue said...

A house divided against itself cannot stand;James 1:8 he is a double-minded man, unstable in all he does; two sides to every story ---
in other words - a person cannot serve two masters - either she will obey the one and weed on schedule or she will hate the other and forsake them both? Paraphrase by Linda Sue
ROFL - Lanny Girl - you are always a spirit lifter for me!~

basebell6 said...

lanny! you always make me laugh. do you have a groundhogs day out there or do you guys go off pux phil? what is it going to be like in the PNW 6 weeks from now, anyways?? it is very important i know!! :)

and if you do end up doing some planting, i'm majorly jealous! snowflakes flying here!

Mrs. Mike said...

So sir hogus of the groundula reports a lagging winter, but it's pretty mild from where I'm standing so out to the garden I go!