It is a delight to be the spouse of a hard working, joy-filled, dedicated man.



Wednesday, September 3, 2008

First Night At Iron Creek

A week ago the girls and I headed up to Iron Creek campground in the Gifford Pinchot National Forest. We made a quick stop in Morton to pick up some tarps and line as the fog and mist just got thicker and thicker and thicker as we headed farther into the mountains and into the day. To bad I didn't pick up all the other things we forgot to pack but then I would have had to know that they were forgotten.

We didn't get to the campground in time to get the open site across from our families main site, so we had to find a suitable site close to the site we reserved six months back. We set camp pretty quick for three girls, two of which don't have much camp experience. We arrived at noon, found a site, strung a tarp, set up the tent and kitchen area, built a fire and sat in our chairs by two o'clock.

We forgot forks and spoons and someone figured we only needed a few paper cups. So eating oatmeal and cup a noodles was interesting and coffee and cocoa cups were tested to their maximum use. I chose to use my fingers to eat my noodles, Anna found a long straw in the glove box which she cut in half and used as chopsticks till frustration had her just sucking noodles through the straw. Bet got tongue sprain trying to fish noodles out without getting her hands in it.

But all in all it was a good start, so good in fact that Bet and I are looking forward to heading out for at least two more overnighters before winter sets in.

But I must go find coffee for me, water and fertilizer for my suffering plants, so that I can come back in blog a little more and listen to the latest news. Which I would really like to comment on but after last night's erasing several drafts have decided to not touch it here. But my tongue is sure bloody from being bitten, so I'll go get it a band-aid now.

3 comments:

KathyB. said...

Now ,this posting about your first night camping sounds a lot like some of my camp outs with Jim. And I totally agree with the comment "too bad I didn't pick up all the other things I forgot to pack, but then I would have had to know they were forgotten." Sums me up !

We had a great time Lanny, thanks for Fry Night, and I was canning green beans while watching the convention on T.V. You know, you should not get distracted when canning, especially with pressure cookers . KathyB.

Dr.John said...

Next time bring some forks and a package of cups. Glad you had a good time.

Melli said...

Ahhhhhh... now see? By NOT watching television I have completely avoided the whole tongue biting experience! I know of what you speak even without having actually read one rant or another on either democrat or republican blogs... and I'm quite content to keep it that way. I know only the facts and can form my own opinion without feeling like I need to judge OR defend. Avoiding headlines... that's the key!

Sounds like camping was REALLY roughing it this time!!! I know about giving up television and airconditioning ... but eating utensils? That's going to extremes! No? LOL!