It is a delight to be the spouse of a hard working, joy-filled, dedicated man.



Monday, September 29, 2008

Getting Fleeced

Or not, seems to be the subject of the day around here. The plan was to skirt and wash fleeces today ands we are getting it done.

This fleece, off of one of Dirt's sheering customer's sheep, is spread out on the tarp for skirting and evaluation by the girls. Skirting involves taking the worst of the fleece off, the stuff that has so much dung in it that it won't come clean it is also the wool that is often britchy, flat and without character this one is headed to the insulation pile. I will be using all the nasty and not worth washing fleeces as insulation in a box made to store my fuchsias and geraniums.

There are some good ones in the pile. It is just a matter of going through them. And that means we won't be going into town or playing around till maybe Thursday if we're lucky.

This is what comes from not installing a hot water heater in the Laundry House, Dirt. We all refused to haul hot water to the washing machine in the driveway that we are using to wash the fleeces. That means that Dirt hooked the hose up to the hot water heater in the dining room closet.

This is the rack where the fleeces will dry after they are washed and rinsed. The frame has hardware mesh on it.

You can make all the red neck cracks you want, we've heard them all and probably invented half of them ourselves, self evaluation can lead to humor. Even though we do this in the broken washer. the water can not agitate or all the wool will felt and that is only a good thing once it is clean and ready to be felted

Here is the hose that comes from the house that fills the wash tub that holds the dirty fleece that soaks un-agitated in hot water.

And Dawn dish soap.

See you back here when we get some done. Or the world comes to an end, oh wait then you wouldn't be hearing from me then either.

8 comments:

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

my grandparents had sheep and they looked so funny after sheering! she had over 200 of them and named every one!

smiles, bee
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

KWolfAK said...

Do you sell the fleeces, or use them yourself. Just wondering. I spin.

KathyB. said...

Oh boy, you are busy ! I wish we could have kept our old washer for fleeces, but the bathtub and kitchen sink were where my fleeces spent a bit of time before drying. Like your drying rack, I think I just might copy it.

Red neck jokes....? For you all ???KathyB.

Lanny said...

There may come a time when I sell fleeces but not right now, we need to carpet our living room I am sure that Kathy at Spot on Cedar Pond does, check over on my right side stuff.

Ted M. Gossard said...

Wow, Lanny. Quite interesting, and looks like work, and maybe fun(?).

Connie said...

This was very interesting to read, Lanny. I know nothing about raising sheep so this is all new and fascinating to me. :)

Dr.John said...

Now I'm glad we didn't raise sheep on the farm. Chickens, turkeys, geese,cows, and pigs were more than enough.

Melli said...

ROFL! Now... do you not go into town or play around because ... you're so BUSY? Or because you ... stink? LOL!!! Well, you know... fecey fleeces! Oy...

You are always reminding me why I DON'T live on a FARM!!!