It is a delight to be the spouse of a hard working, joy-filled, dedicated man.



Monday, September 15, 2008

I'm Writing As Fast As I Can

I am attempting to write a story and it is beginning to take on a life of its own.

The story is for participation in a writer's challenge at A Word In Edgewise Potrait of Words #1 (his spelling not mine).

But I am also trying to get ready to take a display of turkeys to our State Fair for five days. This not only includes the turkey and all the netting, yards and yards, to keep them in their pens (they're birds, they have wings, they fly) a banner or two of our farm (advertisement, for what I am not sure at this moment) educational information that is up where people can see it but not block the view of the birds, tools to keep things clean.

Most importantly a good attitude that can withstand; flapping, shaving flipping, pooping, pecking birds that spill water and ridiculous questions.

I get that people are not raised on the farm but I don't live in the city and I understand what that thing on a pole is right by the curb with a little window and some dials in it. I can even operate it if I need to. Don't city people read books? I thought you all were big on reading and absorbing information from every where? Then by all rights there shouldn't be any more clueless people coming through the Fair.

Hand me those pill.

Ahhh, I feel better, now what was I saying? Oh ya, I'm heading to the fair early in the morning Wednesday, I need to be prepared, need to write and post a short story that keeps wanting to turn into a novel, need to do lots. so you may see pics of Aksel's birthday party in the morning but for now I must write fictitious babble and it isn't even funny.

See you soon with a story.

7 comments:

KathyB. said...

You and me both ! What were we thinking ?!?!!! 5 days at the fair , no sleep, lots of work, thousands of people asking questions they really want an answer to and us wondering why the average American knows so little about things that are the very basic necessities of their way of life, but that which they so take for granted and have no clue they should know.I need to get some sleep, and hope the sleep refreshes me until next week. KathyB.

KathyB. said...

Hi Lanny, I re-read my comment and wanted to add that the reason we like to participate in the fair ( you and us and many of our friends) is that we hope to help people understand a tiny bit of what it is like to raise livestock...and encourage others in doing the same. I hope my 'have no clue' does not come across unkindly, because there are infinite numbers of things i have no clue about that SHOULD probably be aware of and hope others are patient with me !

I am remembering all the years you and Dirt helped us here on Cedar Pond( and still do ) with the most basic livestock questions and problems, and always you were kind about things one would think we should know. Thanks, gotta get beck to getting ready for the fair!KathyB.

Dr.John said...

I used to love bringing chickens and pigeons to the fair. It was worth all the trouble.
I'm sure you enjoy it or you wouldn't do it.

Melli said...

Ahhhhh... I'm MISSING the county fair this year! But I TOO know about those things on posts! They seem to grow at the end of parking spaces if I'm remembering correctly! The new fangled ones don't take coins - only charge cards!

Ted M. Gossard said...

Very good and very funny. Nothing like seeing it firsthand, though reading about it ought to help. Keep on writing!

Jeff B said...

I changed the title of the post to the correct spelling. Funny, you're the only one that picked up on that or at least mentioned it. It would figure, the only place in blogger where spell check doesn't catch such things I would do that...and on a writing challenge of all places! Sheesh

Looking forward to seeing you story.

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

you know in palm beach the county fair does not have nearly as many animals as it used to, and it is not nearly as good either. it's more of a big carnival now rather than a fair. too bad for us...

smiles, bee
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo